Friday, March 2, 2012

Gaming and Me

I have loved gaming every since I was a little kid.  When I say gaming to some people, they think about X-Box and Playstation.  Boy do they have no idea what the other side of gaming looks like.  I remember when I was a little kid, my friends and I would set up hundreds of little Revell, Airfix, Esci and Micro Machine models for a giant battle as often as I could (much to my mother's dismay).  When I was about 7 years old my Aunt sent me a package from England with a box of GW Khorne Berzerkers (They looked very different back then).  From there I got heavily involved in actual miniature gaming.  I love reading rule sets and imagining what I can do with them.

16 years later I now have more models than I know what to do with.  In my attempts to downsize my collection, I have sold models, traded models, and sometimes even given away models.  However, I always get distracted by something new and shiny and must buy it to play with them or to paint.  Here are some of the game/miniature companies models that I own:

Elhiem Miniatures (20mm Moderns)
Games Workshop - Fantasy, 40k, Lord of the Rings, Battlefleet Gothic
Spartan Games - Firestorm Armada
Battlefront - Flames of War
DND miniatures
Reaper miniatures
Warmaster Ancients - 10mm Armaments in Miniatures Greeks

I am bound to have more stuff lying around, but this was what I could think of after a few minutes of brainstorming.  I would have to say that by far, my current love has to be 20mm Modern Warfare.  I found a rule set called Force on Force, which is authored by Ambush Alley Games (AAG) and published by Osprey Publishing.  It is a small scale game which is very fast paced and is very rewarding.  I love painting the figures (which if you ask anyone is a first).  Recently I became a Pointman for AAG, which is basically an official demo guy for AAG.  I have been working hard at setting up demos for the Front Range community.  For those who are interested, I will be hosting games at the Colorado Springs Gamers Association "Games Day" on the 24th of March and I will be hosting games at West Wars in May for the Colorado Military Historians.

Thought I would show you all what my "Work in Progress" shelves look like.  These are sort of things that are high on the totem pole along with needed materials and supplies.


Time to head off to work though.  There is a Lord of the Rings Tournament this weekend at my Local Hobby Shop (Collectormania).  If I don't post anything tomorrow, I will be sure to post about the tournament.

No comments:

Post a Comment