I have been working on a bunch of vehicles for my British Forces in Afghanistan and Iraq (Desert Storm and Iraqi Freedom).
I have been messing around with my air brush and working with filters and pigments. I have never used pigments before or filters and I am still new with the airbrush so this is a fun experiment.
I decided to take my single Challenger 1 with ERA and use it as my test tank. Eventually I would like to get 3 more Challenger 1s for Desert Storm and paint them up just the same.
This is a Challenger 1 Desert Version from Trumpeter based on plasticard with some scenics on it. Wire is drilled in to represent antenna and I have base coated it white.
Challey 1 next to its big brother the Challenger 2 with a dozer blade from Dragon.
Forgot to take paint shots in between layers, but I have base coated the model with Tamiya Brown for a nice shade. Then I sprayed it with Desert Yellow. Then did a lighter coat of a mix of Desert Yellow, Buff and a Light sand. Tracks, Machine gun, antenna, muzzle and some other bits get painted black and given a quick highlight of dark grey.
Quite a few steps here. I pin washed the cracks with GW devlan mud (not sure what the current equivalent is), then dry brushed Vallejo Iraqi sand over the tank pretty roughly. Then I used a Mig Desert Korps filter on the tank. It is currently drying. The filter is very yellow at first, but softens a lot once dry. I will probably go back and do some minor touch ups, finish up the base, then it is on to decals, sealing and weathering.
I am very pleased with it so far.
And the rest of the vehicles all based and ready for priming.
I have a bunch more vehicles still after this, and about 15 infantry to do. I can't wait to fully finish my Brits. Feels like I am getting there.